Sunday, September 18, 2016

Why I Chose Psychology

BY: MELISSA
When you were a kid did you ever believe that you had your whole future planned out? Did you ever have a dream career? Ever since I was 6 years old and met my aunt who told me all about her career as a family and marriage therapist, I have been intrigued by the field of psychology and what it is all about. She would tell me about all the diverse families and couples that she would encounter each week and the range of diversity was astonishing. Even though she had to respect the patient to therapist confidentiality request I still learned an awful lot about life and marriage at a very young age. Once I heard all the stories and facts she had to offer I knew then that I wanted to become a family therapist and eventually help people every day to resolve issues and find peace within their family. I am currently enrolled in a Human Development and Family Studies class at my college and I can honestly say that it is one of the most interesting classes I have ever been enrolled in.

I think a huge aspect of the field of psychology is helping people when they need it most, which to me is one of the greatest gestures anyone could possibly do on this earth. Being genuinely nice is not a difficult task and often does not take a lot of effort. I love being the friend that everyone can come to just to talk or confide in. With having my friends trust me with their darkest secrets to listening to my best friend talk to me about family problems with family and school, I realized that I want to continue to do this but the only different thing being that it would be my professional career. I love to sit and listen to people venting their feelings or problems and being able to give them friendly advice. I believe that psychology will not only allow me to help others but also allow me to grow stronger mentally and eventually lead me to more happiness and peace in life, doing what I love for a career.

I knew as soon as I started high school that the road ahead of me would be long and tedious. The things I focused on most in high school were grades and the fact that I so badly wanted to be able to say I was accepted to my dream school, Michigan State University. I was stressed out throughout the whole planning to get into college process, SAT’s, and especially college admission essays. I always reminded myself that I was capable of achieving whatever I set my mind to. But I always thought about how I would need to keep a four point throughout my college career to eventually be able apply and attend graduate school. As of right now I can happily say I am a freshman at my dream school and I am on my path of accomplishing what I have set my mind to ever since I was a little girl. Comment below what your dream career is!

2 comments:

  1. As someone who is going into college undecided, it was so interesting to read about you finding your path to Psychology. It is definitely a special experience that you were able to find something you loved at such a young age! It's so great that you have such a passion for helping people which will definitely make for an amazing psychologist. I would love to hear more about your journey and what it really means to be in the field of psychology. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete