Sunday, September 18, 2016

Why Psychology?

BY: SKYLLAR
At Michigan State University there, are hundreds of majors to choose from. We, as college students, are suppose to choose one or two of these majors and work towards a degree in it, which will determine what kinds of jobs we will qualify for in the future. This can be very stressful to most students, especially those who aren't sure what their interests are. For me, picking a major was something I have thought about for quite some time now. I really put some effort into trying to figure out what peaks my interest the most. After careful consideration, I chose psychology as my major.

After listening to my friends vent for hours about their feelings and what was going on in their life it became clear to me that this was something I wouldn't mind doing for the rest of my life. I love helping people and being able to put their mind at ease. I also fell in love with learning about the human brain my junior year of high school. I was taking human anatomy and psychology and was absolutely fascinated by what I learned about the brain and how it works. It led me to want to continue learning everything that there is to know about the human mind and why we think and feel the way that we do. Not only will psychology be able to help me help other people, it will also allow me to better understand myself. Psychology is a very broad field and a major in it can be used in several ways.

Even though I have picked out my major, I am not sure what career path I would like to take with it. There are quite a few psychology based jobs that have sparked my attention. I am hoping that as I go through college and take more classes that decision will become a lot clearer to me. I have also been considering double majoring in neuroscience since psychology and neuroscience compliment each other. Overall, my heart is very set on psychology right now, but it's also possible that I may discover something else I love and switch my major. Until then, I am extremely glad I am a psychology major and have found something that I am so passionate to learn about.

No comments:

Post a Comment