Sunday, October 16, 2016

Killing of unarmed Americans By Police

BY: DWAYNE




When I reflect on all the recent killings of unarmed American “Minorities” by police I get mad and frustrated. More so mad because the criminal justice system is letting these cops get away with murder. I feel like the police are scared of minorities, because they stereotype us into not liking them. Maybe they feel like all African Americans’ or Latino’s are criminals but that’s not the case. I feel like segregation and racism could be starters to this police brutality. I also feel like this is the use of over criminalization, which is the overuse of criminal law as an attempt to control deviant activity.

2016 Police AccountabilityTask Force report found that “black and Hispanic drivers were searched approximately four times as often as white drivers, yet [the Chicago Police Department’s] own data show that contraband was found on white drivers twice as often as black and Hispanic drivers.” The police departments own data, the report found, “gives validity to the widely held belief the police have no regard for the sanctity of life when it comes to people of color.”

I feel like in order to fix this problem it start with the people of higher power. They must look deep into these situations, and hold people accountable for their actions. Until that starts protest and riots are going to keep upraising because us minority want our voice to be heard. My I add that I don’t think all police officers are bad, but they have a reputation now, and I feel that the good officers should speak up as well to help start the healing process.




No comments:

Post a Comment